Friday, July 13, 2012

Forward - The Indian Princess

I was sitting i the parlor over lunch when my dad joined me. I knew it had to be important because he almost never dined with me. He usually was always in his study or at meetings with his officers from the army. He sat down with me and ordered our servants to leave because he he wanted to talk to me alone. I knew then that it had to be serious.

"Maria," he started after the last servant had gone. "You are still young and at sixteen you must have a guardian to accompany you while I am away."

I was surprised.

"Father, you are going away again?"

He looked above the fireplace. It had a painted portrait of my mother. She died when I was born, so it had always been my dad and myself. I know that he missed her terribly. I never knew her but I had heard stories about her.

"It is my duty as King to aid my country when it needs me."

He looked back at the portrait. I grabbed his hand.

"When are you leaving papa?" I asked.

He looked at me steadily.

"I leave in two weeks. My troops and I shall march to Asia."

I was worried. I did not trust my father's council one bit. Each one of them were power hungry and they did not give a damn about the people. They would rather see the kingdom starve while they lounged at bath houses and slept on silk sheets. It just made me so angry. If I were a son, things would be much different. But, women could do nothing. My father remarried and tried for a son but the marriage resulted in no children. I was close to my step mother. She was a gentle person and very sweet. It was easy to talk to her.

"So, who will be in charge while you are gone?"

I asked nervously.

My father looked deep in thought for a moment and then finally answered.

"I think I will leave the Lord St. James. He is someone I can trust."

The Lord St. James was a favorite at court. He was tall and handsome. He had dark features and black hair with hazel eyes and he was about 6'2". He had been offered many marriage contracts but had denied them all. He was also American, like my mother. He gave me the creeps. I did not like him one bit. I always felt like he was undressing me with his eyes.

I was part American and part Indian. I had long black hair that reached my waist and green eyes. I had light olive toned skin and was only 5'4".

"I shall miss you father." I said after a while.

"I shall miss you too my dear. Hopefully, the war will be over soon and I can come back home to you. Until then, mind Lord St. James and be good. Well, my dear, I shall depart to my study."

And with that, he left the parlor and I was there alone. The servants came back in and I finished my lunch sorrowfully. I did not want my father to leave. I was so scared that he would not return.

Finally, the day had arrived. My father was leaving for the war. I wore my best dress. It was a long, flowing gown made of green silk. I used my silver hair combs to dress my hair. I tried to catch his eye to plead for him to stay home, but he would not make eye contact. I guess he felt guilty for leaving his only daughter. But, this war was very serious and I knew deep down that he needed to go. The troops would regain morale if they saw their king in the front lines.

I felt so alone already. I had already lost one parent and I did not want to lose another one. His troops lined up and my father mounted his horse. They marched down the road as I sat there with tears running down my face. Lord St. James put his hand on my shoulder. I got chills down my spine.

He leaned over and whispered in my ear,"Come, let's go back to the castle."

There was nothing else I could do but to listen. I followed him back into the castle. From then on, it was a complete nightmare.

And then, the real story starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment