Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Aliens and the Hospital

**Note: I was not myself in this dream


I was training to be a doctor. Some of my co-workers, and dear friends of mine, decided that we would walk through the woods to get to the hospital since it was much quicker to just take the path. It was almost dawn, so it was still dark. We heard a branch crunch behind us. My friend Josh looked at me and put one finger to his lips to tell me to be quiet. Rose and I nodded. Josh, Rose, and I kept walking until we happened upon the graveyard. We were at the old abandoned cemetery now, so we were almost to the hospital. This was an older cemetery that time had forgotten. It had iron rod fences around the grave sites. As I was walking by one, I saw a coat splattered with blood. I gestured quietly behind me to Josh and Rose because I knew we were still being followed. I poked the coat with a stick and all that was left inside the coat was a small gold cross, like you'd wear on a necklace and a clump of long blonde hair.

Then, the attacker sprang. He had some kind of puma with him. Josh took on the attacker. I don't know why it felt important but I grabbed the cross and stuck it in my jacket pocket and Rose and I ran from the puma. We knew of this hole, it was the beginning to a cave at the edge of the graveyard that we were always warned never to go near as children. Well, we were sure as hell going there now. The puma was a lot faster than I thought it would be. I thanked my gym silently as I ran and I'm sure Rose did the same. We worked out to relieve stress.

We finally made it to the cave opening and Rose and I stopped. We watched the puma race towards us, a bit of confusion was on his face as if to say, "why did they stop", but then he pounced. Rose and I leapt out of the way and the puma fell about twenty feet below into the cave. He had broken legs and couldn't get out even if he tried. We got to our feet and looked at each other and the same thought crossed our minds, Josh.

"Josh!" I yelled at Rose and we ran back to the cemetery. Josh was pinned on the ground with the attacker over him asking for the key. Josh didn't know what key the guy was talking about and neither did we. Rose, who knew how to fight (she did some kind of kick boxing after work), did some sort of round kick and got the attacker off of Josh.

"We don't know what you mean by key. What does it look like and why did you attack us to find it?" I asked, getting my breath back.

The attacker rose to his feet clutching his abdomen.

"I just want to go home." He said looking dead at me and shooting an evil look at Rose.

"My ship is over there," as he pointed to a crypt, "but Serin had the key and she's dead. I don't know where it is and I fear I'll never return home. We only stopped here to fuel up and grab some samples of this planet."

Then, he described the key to me. The key that happened to be in my pocket. So, I gave it to him, with the conditions that he wouldn't hurt us and that he would take Serin's body so there wouldn't be any questions we would have to answer, especially if she wasn't human. He happily agreed to these terms as he just wanted to leave. I watched in amazement as he put the cross in the top of the crypt in a slot that would go unnoticed by most people and the whole thing opened to a space ship. There was a walkway to the flight deck, as it was a small ship. He sat down in the pilot's chair.

"Why a crypt?" I yelled over the engines in curiosity.

"Because," he replied, "they are the most ignored here on on Earth."

I couldn't argue with him there. We watched as he took off into the sky.

"Well, we'd best get back to work but he still should have apologized." Josh grumbled and walked out of the woods. Rose and I followed.

But, that wasn't the end of our crazy day, not by a long shot.

It was an EXTREMELY busy day at work. We worked in the ER so we had several car accidents, broken limbs and GI problems. So, when my twelve hour shift came to a close, I thanked all of the deities because I was exhausted.

I retrieved my book bag from my locker and walked outside. There was this man begging and screaming for any kind of help. He caught my eye and saw my doctor's coat. Damn, I really have to start changing clothes in the locker room after work. Not that I don't mind helping people, but an exhausted doctor is not a good doctor.

"Miss, you gotta help me, my wife fell out of the tub."

She looked like she had fallen on his fists. She had a swollen purple bruised right eye, blood pouring out of her nose and soaking the shirt though her clothes. She had a possible broken arm, maybe some internal bleeding, and a huge gash in the back of her head. She might even have a concussion. She was barely conscious. I was trying to keep her talking because you can't let someone with a concussion sleep.

"WE NEED TO GET THIS WOMAN STABILIZED NOW!" I shouted to the group of nurses behind me who had come outside when the man was screaming.

"Sir, while they are stabilizing her, I need you to tell Josh," I gestured to my colleague, "Everything that happened. Can you do that? It will help us to better understand how to treat her." I tried to explain it gently but it came out mechanically because I had switched over into work mode, even though I wanted to rip this guy's guts out and feed it to him for what I KNOW he did to her.

He nodded somewhat in a daze and sat with Josh.

He was a great actor, I'd give him that. He stuck to his story. He even acted somewhat concerned about his wife.

The woman was in a coma, had six fractured ribs, a fractured clavicle, a fractured skull, internal bleeding in her stomach because of a tear, and a punctured lung. We decided to keep her in a medicinally induced coma to spare her from all of the pain. She had bruises everywhere. She also had older injuries that you could see on the MRI - the bones had already healed from the other injuries.

We reported our findings to the police because we are required by law to do so. I think I would have done it anyway, even if it wasn't a requirement.

It had been a weird day but now it was time to go home. I didn't even know what to think about the guy in the spaceship because I had been too distracted by the poor woman patient.

Such a weird day.



No comments:

Post a Comment