Friday, February 3, 2012

Stephen Colbert and The Sweatshop

I was a young girl of about eight. I was working in a sweat shop, manufacturing a toxic chemical that the local factory uses to cool down their engines. I was not allowed to actually move the chemical, as it was fatal if spilled. It was almost like liquid nitrogen, very, very cold. One of the ladies I worked with ignored the warnings everywhere, she had only been there a few days, and opened one of the vats. The chemical shot up into the air, in almost a frozen water spout formation, and completely froze her to death.

After that occurred, my Aunt decided to help me escape from the factory. She pulled a fire alarm and in the middle of all of the confusion, she somehow pushed me outside through a window.

I ran away as quickly as I could. However, around the next block was a parade. On one of the floats, I saw Stephen Colbert. I ran and almost fell in front of his float. He ordered them to stop and took my hand to help me up. He pulled me up on his float and gave me a microphone.

"Do you know how to sing?" He asked.
"Of course I do." I replied.

Then, he proceeded to sing, "Happy Birthday" to me and then we sang, "A Whole New World" together.

I was never found by the sweat shop and lived with Colbert until I turned eighteen. I thought it was worth it to spend the first couple of years of my life in the sweat shop if this was how it was going to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment