Monday, February 27, 2012

The Sorcerer and the Apprentice

I was burdened with saving the world - again. My rival, who was my apprentice before she got all uppity, was causing problems. She was good at that. I was at a hospital in Augusta, in hiding and helping the sick. She would NEVER find me here, even though I was from Augusta. I noticed that one of the male patients was dying. This magical war was hell on everyone, magical and unmagical alike. I got up and held the dying man's hand. He looked at me and squeezed his hand.
"Who are you?" He rasped.
"A friend." I replied.
He looked at me, a bit confused.
"I don't have any friends." He rasped, sadly. I saw a tear in the corner of his eye.
"No one should die alone." I said and kissed him on the cheek. He smiled and died without pain.
The nurse came up to me.
"More and more people keep dying. If this war keeps up, we won't have any patients left."
That's when we felt the building start to shake.
"GET EVERYONE DOWN TO THE BASEMENT! NOW!" I screamed at the nurses. Everyone headed towards the basement.
While down in the basement, I noticed there was a hallow space under the stairs. I directed all of the children under the stairs, followed by anyone older and more sick. I put up a magical wall around the stairs to keep anything from falling on the people huddled under them. The magical wall looked a bit like the slime from Ghostbusters 2, pink and gelatinous and very, very solid. Nothing was getting through it. The rest of us huddled around a second, smaller blob. Pieces of the hospital fell around us but nothing could penetrate the barrier.
Finally, it all stopped. I waited a bit before I brought down the barriers. I knew this was one of her tricks. So, I undid the barrier around me. That was a mistake, but at least she would leave the innocent people alone.
A small, glass elevator appeared around me and sky rocketed me towards the sky. All of the people in the hospital basement looked at me in horror. I waved and smiled. They don't need to panic anymore.
I reached her, well, I guess you would call it a lair in the movies. It was a cloud bank with a small, white castle. In the movies, villains are attracted to dark colors ... well, in this world, the lighter the more evil.
She came out of her castle to greet me in a long, flowing white gown. Her hair was red and fell down to her waist. Her eyes were a piercing green and they were focused on me.
"So...we meet again." She looked amused.
"Looks that way." I said.
"You shouldn't have been so rude. If you would have just died, I wouldn't have to attack a hospital."
The glass elevator disappeared.
She pulled up her wrist and hit a few buttons on her watch.
"Rosco, I need you to make the prison ready, we have a guest."
Then, she looked at me.
"Well, shall we?" I asked.

Time flashed forward with no explanation.. Somehow, I managed to escape. I was running through a long, magical tunnel. I had to zap a magical barrier into existence to stop the flaming meteorites from falling on my head. She was really, really good. She was trying to crush me to death. I had to get back to that hospital! It was in real danger. Why did I ever decide to go there? I put all of those people in danger.

Time flashed forward again. I was at dinner with the hospital staff. I was really upset because they were having stir fry but didn't save me any! After I saved them and saved the world? Unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment